Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Right move?

This is from several days ago... one of my 0-fer-7 streak. Middle stages, 6 players left, I'm 4th in chips. Make 3xBB raise from UTG+1. Get raised to a total of 7xBB.

Holdem Single Tournament No Limit

Seat 2 - ARKYV ($1860 in chips)
Seat 3 - CRL_HND_LUKE ($1425 in chips)
Seat 4 - GRANTGEBHART ($5295 in chips)
Seat 5 - DRBOMBAY ($2190 in chips)
Seat 7 - LOTTALUCK ($2040 in chips)
Seat 9 - USC_AGAIN ($690 in chips)
DRBOMBAY - Posts small blind $100
LOTTALUCK - Posts big blind $200
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to ARKYV [As Jh]
USC_AGAIN - Folds
ARKYV - Raises $600 to $600
CRL_HND_LUKE - Raises $1400 to $1400
GRANTGEBHART - Folds
DRBOMBAY - Folds
LOTTALUCK - Folds
ARKYV - All-In(Raise) $1260 to $1860
CRL_HND_LUKE - All-In $25
ARKYV - returned ($435) : not called
*** FLOP *** [2s Jd Ks]
*** TURN *** [2s Jd Ks] [5c]
*** RIVER *** [2s Jd Ks 5c] [Qs]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ARKYV - Shows [As Jh] (One pair, jacks)
CRL_HND_LUKE - Shows [Qd Qh] (Three of a kind, queens)
CRL_HND_LUKE Collects $3150 from main pot

Is AJo good enough to get into a preflop confrontation for almost all my chips at this point? If I fold I'm down to 1260 with the BB at 200... about enough room to still do something.

3 comments:

Hassenfeffer said...

Let me channel Dan Harrington....mmmmm. *click*

Your raise from that early a postion indicates a strong hand. For someone to reraise you, they should have a very strong hand indeed.

I suppose the answer for me would all depend on what kind of player this guy was. If he's the guy coming over the top and raising or reraising half the time, then sure - stick it all in with AJo. he will probably turn over A6s.

If he is not that guy, then you have to wonder what he might have. Hands that beat you are AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, and AQ. Hands you are sort of a coin flip against are 22 through 10-10 but is he the guy that reraises with 6 people left holding a small pair? Hands that you beat are KQ, KJ, QJ. But again, is this guy going to reraise with QJ? Assuming he is a semi-solid player, the hands you hope he has are A-10, KJ, 10-10, 99, 88, 77. You only dominate him on the A-10 and the KJ. So, if he is a solid player, you might consider a fold because against most of the hands he should have, you're the underdog. He could be bluffing with some crappy hand but if he is, he has picked a terrible spot to make his move against a solid player (I am assuming your table image was tight and aggressive?) with three MORE players yet to act.

I'm sure I blew some of the math on that but I guess what I am asking is - what kind of player was he?

Of course, I'm the guy with the bankroll that is 10% the size of yours.....so all comments made are with the note that I am talking out of my ass.

Mr Waturi_RatNamedTed said...

I call w/ AJoff with a mid to full table in any position. It is a shit pocket for me usually.

Lee said...

He seemed a generally solid player. I probably should have credited him with a better hand than I and folded. The reason I didn't was that it was a pretty aggressive table... a lot of raising taking down pots early. And his M was less than 5 (re: Harrington) so he could have logically been making a move with a weaker hand than normal. I though I might be folding to AT. Which he could have had... but if I'd put him on a range, most of that range had me beat.

You're right... AJo not good enough to do what I did there.

I don't know about limping instead of raising preflop with it. 6 handed it's pretty strong. I usually don't limp very often once the blinds have gotten that big, either. Especially if no one has entered the pot voluntarily yet, I'm either raising or folding. Do you not play that way? I guess it does get me in trouble sometimes when I bluff at a big pot after missing the flop and get called or raised, but it does seem to be generally recommended not to limp after the 3rd level or so.